A note from Co-Founder and Executive Director, Katie Voelpel
We did it!
It’s the end of 2021 and the end of the first full year of Virginia Highland District. We could not have done it without you, so thank you so much for your support.
The team and I are so proud of all that has been accomplished and the amazing support that we have received from the community. Behind the scenes, there were many, many volunteers giving their love and free time to this community. All year, we have been an energized collective with a common goal: to make Virginia Highland the greatest place to be and live.
During Winterfest, I kept affectionately saying, “there’s nothing like the first,” and there just isn’t. In our first year, we gave nothing short of our blood, sweat, and tears to build a brand and host events that resonated with our audience. We pivoted, and pivoted, and pivoted. We learned and adjusted. We made friends that became family.
Finally, we feel like we have two feet on the ground and endless possibilities to discover. We believe change starts with us, and we can have fun doing it, too. If you are interested in joining the team, I encourage you to reach out on our website or reply to this email. We are only as good as our volunteers, sponsors, and supporters. Thank you!
Virginia Highland District Year End Review 2021
- First publication mention in Atlanta Magazine
- Instagram reaches 2K followers
- Beautification – added 25 planters to the Atkins Park node.
- Launched monthly Summer Series – Food Truck First Friday & Movie Night in the Park.
- Launched weekly VHD Farmers Market in the Farm Burger parking lot.
- Inaugural VaHi Porchfest + Rock n Run 5k, reported highest sales from VaHi businesses!
- First VaHi Business Owner and Manager Happy Hour
- Instagram reaches 5K followers
- Summer Series Wrap-Up Party
- Launched First VHD Merchandise, including the “Alive in VaHi” line
- Third Annual Candy Crawl sponsor
- First VHD Yoga in the Park Fundraiser
- First Instagram Giveaway to Murphys Wine Tasting + Illuminarium tickets for four
- Second VaHi Business Owner and Manager Happy Hour
- Beautification – upgraded to 75 matching planters along the North Highland corridor and replanted entrance beds to St. Charles Pl.
- Launched first VHD Food Drive benefiting Intown Collaborative Ministries
- Inaugural VaHi Tour of Lights and Winterfest with Jingle Jog, Parade, Art Market, Music, and SEC Watch Party.
Other projects we have worked on this year include:
- Applied and got accepted to the Atlanta Main Street program hosted by the Atlanta City Planning Dept and Georgia Main Street
- Petitioned landlords and owners of Atkins Park node calling for the Dept of Transportation to reassess paid parking meters along the street.
- Welcomed 8+ new businesses to the Virginia Highland business corridor.
- Met with developers, landlords, and prospective tenants to advocate for the residents and businesses of Virginia Highland.
- Met with other business associations across Atlanta.
- Met with Invest Atlanta and Atlanta Beltline Partnerships to encourage wayfinding and small business support.
- Connected the right contacts and proposals to bring public art and placemaking to our business district.
- Established a ATL311 VaHi Task Force to start escalating requests in our area.
It was a ton of work and we do not plan on slowing down. Year two – we optimize!
Cheers to a new year!